The Power of the Word:
The spoken word, be it from God or by men, is very powerful. Words carry blessings and others carry curses.
Proverbs 18:21 – The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.
The Fall = Rejecting the Word of God and Embracing the word of Satan
After the fall, man’s thought life suffered greatly, and this was manifested through a messed up mind and the use of distractive words against each other and against ourselves also.
(15) So the serpent spewed water out of his mouth like a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away by the flood.
Notice the serpent who is Satan, first attacked Eve in the garden of Eden through suggestions (means through vocal words), and now, it is trying to drawn this woman who symbolises the nation of Judea again through something spewed out of his mouth, which could be unwholesome thought processes and ungodly talk.
(34) Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.
The Salvation Plan: God’s Offering of his Word
God presented the answer for salvation through his Word, who He sent to be sacrificed, eaten and drunk by sinners.
(16) and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity. (17) And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near. (18) For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father.
Jesus’ Words + The Spirit = The Word/the Gospel
After this, He sent the Spirit through his Word. This Spirit, we’re told, dwells in the Bible, and especially the New Testament.
The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you–they are full of the Spirit and life.
The words of the bible aren’t just words that inspire, encourage or trigger repentance. These words are alive and full of the Spirit. The life in them doesn’t just bring knowledge to the mind, but the real power is in the healing.
Listening to these words in a relaxed way, not intended for study, and a long with prayer can heal the soul, the same way, clean fresh water does to a sick, dehydrated body.
Renew Our Minds Through the Word
Moreover, how else are we expected to renew our fallen minds but by constant hearing of the word of God?
(12) For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
[ cleansing her by the washing with water through the Word…. ]
Ephesians 5:25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the Word….
Spoken Truth Leading to Salvation
How else can we believe if we haven’t witnessed and haven’t even heard of the truth? Though the faith is renewed. We’re human beings. We’re not human has been and will be. We’re a renewable process and so is our faith. Thus, like drinking water, hearing has to take place daily, and in great amounts. The more, the better.
(17) So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
(25) Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live.
(the dead means in the spirit).
(16) For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.
Constant Hearing builds Intimacy with God
How can we know God if we didn’t hear all what He has to say in a restful, quiet and submitted manner?
Can a friend tells us everything about themselves if we are constantly enquiring, arguing or interrupting? Neither would God.
So, resting while hearing the bible, without mind chatting, with focus and without making mental comments about what we hear, will form a bond between us and our maker.
1 Corinthians 2:10-12
(10) But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. (11) For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. (12) Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.
(3) To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. (4) And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice.
Reading the Word is the Path to Enlightenment and Wisdom
(105) Your word is a lamp to my feet
And a light to my path.
(12) Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. (13) Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. (14) But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. (15) Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death. (16) Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren.